Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Heart Healthy Breakfast Muffins

As I post more recipes (or if you have purchased my cookbook), you will notice that I do not make too many "clean eating" recipes or what most people think of when they hear health food.  Instead, my recipes are based around moderation and better choices, and would be considered "healthier" (although most do contain less than 30% fat from calories).  However, every once in a while, I will throw a "clean" recipe out there, especially if I feel that it is really good. 

I originally found  this recipe online and since, have made a few modifications that I feel really improve it.  Something to note about these muffins is that they are NOT your typical sweet, fluffy muffins.  They are very hearty and get most of their sweetness from the fruit.  Give them a try!  I bet you'll love them!

1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 T cinnamon
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (optional)
1/2 cup ground flax meal
4 bananas
1 T agave syrup (dark)
1 large egg
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup blueberries

In a large bowl, mix together the 9 dry ingredients into well combined.  In a separate bowl, beat together remaining ingredients (except blueberries) until smooth.  Combine the dry and wet ingredients until the batter is completely moist.  Gently stir in the blueberries.  Spray a 12-muffin cup pan with cooking spray and fill each opening to the top with the batter as these do not rise much.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Check doneness by inserting a fork and seeing if it comes out clean.

Wrap them individually in plastic wrap for a great fiber-packed to go snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment